Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Jester Has Lost His Jingle

Giving a speech on the author of this amazing children's book, David Saltzman.

He died 11 days shy of 23, and produced a classic in the face of Hodgkin's disease. I'm ashamed to think of myself as an aspiring writer when I read about David's story. I hope to some day create something that has such an impact on people, but that's not happening without some responsibility and adult behavior.

It's a shame and a blessing when you exit the "Big Nothing" like Elliott Smith's song. "You can do what you want to, whenever you want to though it don't mean a thing."
Parting from the state of confusion is not easy, and I don't mean to break away forever, but I certainly need to confront the problems I'm faced with. I have the means to do it, my engines aren't really ever full and without concerta to help me focus I do have a really hard time concentrating, in class, on work, reading, anything really.

But the thing is the productivity and positivity that are the comeuppance of focusing one's energy is astounding. I want to soar.

No comments:

Post a Comment